In this episode, Veronica investigates Kendall Casablancas at the request of her stepson, Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas and eventually finds some important information about Logan. Meanwhile, Veronica tries to help Wallace get a date with Jackie Cook.
Veronica attends a Future Business Leaders of America meeting to build up her résumé, headed by Dick Casablancas, Sr. After class, Beaver talks to Veronica about his step-mother's cheating and pays her $1,000 for the case. After finding "Veronica Mars" written on a dead body's palm, Sheriff Lamb takes Veronica in for questioning. The man is David "Curly" Moran, whom Veronica met at the site of the bus crash. Sheriff Lamb threatens Veronica. Keith asks Alicia to a romantic getaway in Chicago, and she accepts. Veronica researches Kendall and her possible relationship to Curly Moran. Veronica asks Keith whether he is going to propose to Alicia, and he says no. Veronica tracks Kendall, and she talks to an unspecified man. They go to a cheap motel, and Veronica takes a picture. Jackie comes and sits at Veronica and Wallace's table. Veronica, in order to help Wallace out, invites him and Jackie on a double date to watch the BBC adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. Beaver is not satisfied with the pictures, and Veronica requests more money for the "money shot." Veronica goes to Curly's place of work, where she finds Curly's possessions, including a picture of Curly with Aaron Echolls.
In another FBLA class, Logan makes a snide remark to Duncan, and they end up fighting. Veronica, Duncan, Wallace, and Jackie go on their double date, and Jackie is dominating the conversation irritatingly. However, Duncan and Wallace both find her interesting. At the gym, Veronica talks to Kendall. She tracks Kendall to the beach, where she is meeting the same man at the Sandpiper, which Mr. Casablancas advertised as a resort. Veronica talks to the business teacher about real estate fraud and informs him that Mr. Casablancas is inflating his company's stock value. Keith and Alicia enjoy their date, but a police officer asks for Keith and Alicia's names and where they are staying. Jackie walks into the coffee shop with another man, but Jackie says nothing the next day with Wallace.
Veronica sets up a camera which takes pictures every 15 seconds in Kendall's room, and Logan is shirtless in several. Veronica shows Beaver the pictures, and when Veronica is away for a second, Beaver suddenly disappears and leaves the pictures on the screen, and Veronica finds out about Logan and Kendall's affair. Neither Beaver or Logan comes to school the next day. The police officer finds Alicia's name in the phone book. Veronica visits Logan's bedroom and tells him about the pictures, but he seems unafraid. Veronica notices that Curly Moran did the stunts on an Aaron Echolls film. Beaver tells Mr. Casablancas that he hired a private investigator to find Kendall, but he immediately tells his staff to shred all papers and flies away in a helicopter before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission gets there. With her newfound knowledge, Veronica tells Duncan that she believes that the bus crash was meant to kill her.
Arc significance Edit
- In Chicago, a man sees Alicia and calls her "Cher" and "Cheri."
- The body on the beach was David "Curly" Moran. He was a mechanic who had been the stunt coordinator on Aaron Echolls' first big movie, The Long Haul.
- Beaver gets pictures of Logan and Kendall together and shows them to his dad, Dick Casablancas Sr., but his dad isn't concerned with it. Instead, Big Dick tells his employees to shred everything and leaves in a helicopter before the SEC arrive.
Cultural references Edit
A variety of cultural references are made in the episode:
- Veronica uses the phrase "Excellent," referencing the catchphrase used by Mr. Burns in The Simpsons.
- When Sheriff Lamb questions Veronica about her relationship with David "Curly" Moran, she jokingly that they met while he was a roadie for Whitesnake and she was a backup singer for Boyz II Men.
- Veronica references the Infinite monkey theorem.
- Keith woos Alicia by paraphrasing "Fog".
- Veronica mentions Kenny G.
- Veronica compares Kendall to a Barbie doll.
- Veronica jokes that Kendall has broken her Atkins diet.
- Veronica's place of work is called "Java the Hut," a play on the character Jabba the Hutt.
- The episode frequently references Pride and Prejudice.
- The business teacher references Warren Buffett.
- Logan sarcastically refers to Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the film of the same name.
- Logan's inspirational quote of the day is from William Makepeace Thackeray.
- Logan uses a catchphrase from I Love Lucy.
- "I Turn My Camera On" - Spoon
- "Smoke It" - The Dandy Warhols
- Wallace: What're you lookin' at?
- Veronica: Just... tawdriness.
- Wallace: ...What're you lookin' at now?
- Veronica: The opposite of tawdriness. Wallace and his pudding cup.
- Mr. Pope: Now, you may invest your money any way you see fit, as long as it's legal.
- Dick: Dude, dog racing is totally legal.
- Mr. Pope: But hardly lucrative, as I recall from your performance last year.
- Wallace: Wh-- You met Jackie, right?
- Veronica: I didn't realize you were lunch buddies.
- Wallace: I'm going for lunch buddies with privileges. Help a brother out.
- Veronica: Well if you wanna play in her league, you'd better hide your little pudding.
- [Wallace grabs the pudding cup and hides it on the bench. He sees that Veronica is sceptical.]
- Wallace: Hey, I like her, okay? Retract claws.
- [Veronica holds out her hands, spreading her fingers.]
- Veronica: Claws, what claws?
- Logan: My very own guardian angel.
- Veronica: [frosty] Don't flatter yourself. The only reason I came here is so I won't have to feel responsible.
- Logan: Yeah, what, responsible for what?
- Veronica: For taking pictures of you and Kendall playing house. Don't take it the wrong way, Logan, it was a job, nothing more.
- [Veronica marches to the door]
- Logan: Right, and so you storm out in a burst of professionalism.
- [Veronica whirls back to face him, backing out of the room]
- Veronica: I suggest you start locking your doors.
- "Cheatty Cheatty Bang Bang" is a reference to the film musical "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"
- Courtney Taylor-Taylor, Lead singer of The Dandy Warhols (who do the opening credits theme song "We Used to Be Friends") has a cameo as the singer of "Love Hurts" at the karaoke bar.
- Despite being credited, Francis Capra (Eli “Weevil” Navarro) does not appear in this episode.
- This episode had an estimated audience size of 3.03 million US viewers on its first airing.