When Wallace gets kicked off the basketball team for failing his drug test, Veronica starts up with her old hobby: Investigating. She successfully solves the case her first time back on the job, uncovering a plot by several wealthy parents to get their children starting positions by rigging false positive drug tests for the competition. While doing so, Veronica looks back on how her relationship with Logan fell apart over the summer when Logan was accused of murder, mainly because of his continued self-destructive behavior. She also tries to deal with the new hatred between her and former friend Meg, who was dumped by Duncan so that he could reconcile with Veronica after Logan and Veronica broke up.
In the end, Veronica goes on a school field trip with a large number of classmates and during a rest stop, is distracted by the ghost of Lilly Kane. As a result, Veronica is left behind while she and Weevil verbally spar over Veronica's decision to attempt to return to her old life as a member of the 09er clique at school. However, being left behind turns out to be a good thing when she and Weevil (who gives Veronica a ride home on his bike) discover that the bus containing Meg and a half-dozen of Veronica's classmates has crashed off the cliff and into the ocean.
Arc significance Edit
- On the bridge after "Leave It to Beaver", Logan was beaten up by the PCHers. When he woke up, Felix was dead beside him and he was holding a bloody knife. He threw the knife in the water and went to Veronica.
- Deputy Leo came to Veronica's to arrest Logan. There was a long trial, during which Veronica supported Logan, and eventually the charges against Logan were dropped because of a lack of evidence.
- A civil war escalates in Neptune, with Logan and Dick Casablancas burning the community pool.
- Over the summer, Veronica broke up with Logan because he was recklessly destroying the town and seemed to be having fun. She returns to dating Duncan, who is now Logan's enemy.
- Logan begins sleeping with Kendall Casablancas, Dick and Beaver's new stepmom.
- During a field trip, Veronica gets left behind by the school bus. However, when she next sees the bus, it has gone off a cliff and Gia Goodman, the new girl, hysterically yells, "They're all dead!"
Main Cast Edit
- Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars
- Percy Daggs III as Wallace Fennel
- Teddy Dunn as Duncan Kane
- Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls
- Francis Capra as Eli "Weevil" Navarro
- Ryan Hansen as Dick Casablancas
- Kyle Gallner as Cassidy "Beaver" Casablancas
- Tessa Thompson as Jackie Cook
- Enrico Colantoni as Keith Mars
Guest Stars Edit
- Jeffrey Sams as Terrence Cook
- Alona Tal as Meg Manning
- Max Greenfield as Leo D'Amato
- Charles Duckworth as Kelvin Moore
- Krysten Ritter as Gia Goodman
- Charisma Carpenter as Kendall Casablancas
- Steve Guttenberg as Woody Goodman
Special Appearances Edit
- Julie Chen as Herself
- Duane Daniels as Van Clemmons
- Brad Bufanda as Felix
- Meredith Roberts as Cute as a Bug Manager
- Adam Hendershott as Butters
- Naima Mora as Ms. Dumass
- Mark Gadbois as Man
- Judy Ho as Jilly Ho
- Ryan Gimbel as Viet Nguyen
- Jon Michael Souza as Passing Motorist
Breathin' -- Asylum Street Spankers
The Change -- Jon Dee Graham
Long Time Coming -- Delays
Ashes -- Embrace
Writing and acting Edit
- Ryan Hansen and Kyle Gallner are promoted to series regulars.
- Near the beginning of the episode, Veronica says, "Logan and Duncan don't speak anymore. I guess that's what happens when your best friend starts dating your ex." The audience is led to believe that she's going out with Logan and Duncan is spiteful because of it, but it's later revealed to be the other way around--that Veronica broke up with Logan last summer, and started dating Duncan again.
Production details Edit
- This episode was originally titled "Urine Trouble".
Quotes and trivia Edit
- This is a reference to the Christina Aguilera song "Dirrty".
- Veronica: I can't believe after a year of working here you don't know the make and model of the filing cabinet.
- Wallace: Yeah, it is hard to believe. Usually memorizing that information is the first thing I do when I enter a room containing a filing cabinet.
- Veronica: Got any enemies you know about?
- Wallace: Well, there's the Klan.
- Veronica: This is not really their M.O.
- Wallace: I guess that leaves everybody that hates you.
- Veronica: I heard that you were kicked off the cheerleading squad.
- Meg: Yeah, but you know me, I'm a major stoner. It was really affecting me, too, I was like, "Let's go! Let's go! L-E-T-S… duh…"
- Logan: Hey, can Dick and Beaver come out to play?
- Keith: What's up, honey?
- Veronica: Wallace is having a little trouble giving me a urine sample.
- Keith: Can't you talk on the phone and paint your nails like other girls?
- This may also be a reference to the website "Television Without Pity," which used a clipart of a teenage girl talking on the phone and painting her nails to represent the show; Rob Thomas participates in the forums on the website.
- Veronica: You never played Little League?
- Duncan: Oh, well, Mom was afraid a ball would hit me in the face. Dad was afraid it would interfere with Mock UN and I was afraid I couldn't hit a curveball.
- Veronica: I'm afraid you're gonna get love handles if you eat all that.
- Duncan: I have an excellent metabolism.
- Veronica: Well then, it's official. I hate you.
- Veronica: When my dad finds out about this, he's not gonna let me wash this hand.
- Terrence: So, who's your favorite player?
- Veronica: Ummm...
- Duncan: Tell him. Be honest.
- Terrence: It's Johnny Damon, isn't it?
- Veronica: He's so pretty.
- Veronica: And, the thing that I can't stand is that…I'm pretty sure there's a part of you that's having fun with all of this.
- Logan: Fun? Fun? My mom is dead! My girlfriend is dead! My dad is a murderer! And the only person I still care about is dumping me. You think I'm having fun?
- Veronica: I should go. 'Cause my Dad is probably watching us through a telescope.
- Logan: He's probably impressed with your virtue.
- Veronica: And that telescope is mounted on a rifle.
- [Logan holds up his five fingers]
- Logan: Five more minutes. He should feel lucky. You could be out here with some pretty boy jerk just looking to get laid.
- Veronica: Wait. What are you saying, you not pretty?
- Logan: No. What I'm trying to say is I'm in love with you.
- Veronica: The things guys will say to get past second base.
- Veronica: I heard you were pantsed in gym last year.
- Vincent: Are you requesting a private viewing?
- Jason Dohring and Ryan Hansen improvised a crude hand gesture widely known as "The Shocker" during the pool scene. While the act slipped by the censors, it was unable to be edited out of broadcast because Jason Dohring did the gesture for every take.
- Charisma Carpenter joins the cast, making her the second Buffy the Vampire Slayer alum to star on the show, after Alyson Hannigan . This is not the first time former costars have been cast on the show.
- Logan says that Trina Echolls is insisting on playing herself in The Aaron Echolls Story but the producers want Tara Reid. Alyson Hannigan, who plays Trina, worked with Reid in American Pie and American Pie 2. Additionally, the network wanted Reid to play the role of Trina.
- This episode had an estimated audience size of 3.30 million US viewers on its first airing.
- When Veronica takes a flash picture at 12:08, the flash is not enabled on her camera. The pulse of light was added as a visual effect.
- When Veronica is talking to Weevil at the gas station, the film crew is reflected in Weevil's helmet. You can see the camera, a boom mic, and two large white reflectors set up behind the camera.
- When Keith is interviewed on television, the news crawl refers to "malnutritioned" Ugandan tribes. The correct word is "malnourished".