Logan embarrasses his father, A-list movie star Aaron Echolls, when a video of his fights he organized using homeless men surfaces on the Internet, giving a glimpse of Logan's troubled home life situation.
Arc significance Edit
- Abel Koontz fires his public defender.
- Veronica finds out that the pair of Lilly's shoes found on Abel Koontz's houseboat were in still her room after her murder.
- We find out that Logan is being abused by his father.
Main Cast Edit
- Kristen Bell as Veronica Mars
- Percy Daggs III as Wallace Fennel
- Teddy Dunn as Duncan Kane
- Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls
- Francis Capra as Eli "Weevil" Navarro
- Sydney Tamiia Poitier as Mallory Dent
- Enrico Colantoni as Keith Mars
Guest Stars Edit
- Lisa Rinna as Lynn Echolls
- Rachel Roth as Wanda Varner
- Amanda Seyfried as Lilly Kane
- Jane Lynch as Mrs. Donaldson
- Reginald Ballard as Homeless Vet
- Harry Hamlin as Aaron Echolls
- Kyle Secor as Jake Kane
- "Still in Love Song" - The Stills
- "Feel Alright" - The Red Onions
- "Bandido" - Daniel Indart
- "I'm In a Way" - The Rite Flyers
- "Ventura Highway" - America
Production details Edit
As noted on the episode page for the "Pilot" that the original 'ocean' plotline (Lilly's body is found in the ocean, instead of by the pool) was dropped at the insistence of the network. However, by that point the production team had already created some of the physical materials for the "Pilot" episode, such as paperwork relating to the Kane murder case. Rather than destroy these and recreate them with the adjusted plot line, they were apparently carried forward through the "Pilot" and subsequent episodes.
A document with 'ocean' plot elements was clearly visible on screen in "Return of the Kane". The document appears in a scene where Veronica opens Keith's safe, and discovers the Kane murder files that he had been secretly working on since the recall election. The document can be seen on screen approximately 13 minutes and 30 seconds into the episode.
The document is the report that Keith filed while still Sheriff, after discovering Lilly's body in the ocean. It contains a lot of detail (the Kanes lived at 1235 Sandtrap - at least during pre-production for the Pilot), but the items below are the main points of interest. (Note that the headings are guesses: the DVD resolution was too low to read the fine print from the form.)
- Type of Crime: possible kidnapping
- No. of Suspects, Identities: 1 - Jake Kane, male, father
- Response from Suspects: denied feelings
- Location of Crime: Ocean
- Investigating Authorities: Sheriff K. Mars, Deputy Sacks
- Physical Description of Victim: bloated
- Miss Kane was last seen @ 1pm @ drill team car wash. several
- students whitnessed[sic] seeing her leaving in her car, VW bug, plate
- B52-KRN. Miss Kane was found 7 days later, by PBS underwater
- dive team, in the ocean amoung[sic] sea weed, etc.
- Nothing else was found with Miss Kane. Missing is her back-pack,
- shoes, watch.
- Nothing else has been found, and no definite suspects with the
- exception of Jake Kane.
- Veronica: Why are you here?
- Lilly: Don't you watch any horror movies? My soul is doomed to walk the earth until justice has been served.
- Veronica: Really?
- Lilly: Yeah, that and, as kind of a side project, I dispense fashion advice.
- Veronica: I want to find out who this kid is and what art room he voted in.
- Wallace: Yeah, and I want a statue of myself in the main lobby, holding a musket and staring down danger. Since we're talking about stuff we want.
- [Deputy Sachs after he searches Veronica's locker and finds nothing.]
- Veronica: There's a couple of suckers… in the bag if you want one.
- Aaron Echolls: Vince, whats happening? Yeah I got the script, I've seen better writing on cereal boxes. Big deal, the man hasn’t made a watchable movie since the 70’s.
- [Veronica and Wanda talk about getting together for a party, of course Veronica is really just testing her...]
- Wanda: Bitchen! do we need any provisions...?
- Veronica: Provisions... with a capital E...? Absolutely, but I know a guy.
- Wanda: Oh jealous, wish I knew a guy.
- Wanda "Dub" Varner is a character from Rob Thomas' novel Rats Saw God.
- The title of this episode "Return of the Kane", is a play on to J.R.R. Tolkien's third volume, Return of the King, from the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
- When Aaron Echolls (Harry Hamlin) is giving autographs in front of his house you can hear someone clearly saying "Hi, Harry."
- When Veronica hands Keith the crime scene photo, you can clearly see through the back that it is a picture of Lilly's head, but it is shown to be a picture of her shoes.
- When Veronica approaches Mrs. Donaldson to request a recount of the ballots, the board behind her says that secant(θ)/cotan(θ) = hypotenuse/opposite, which is incorrect. The quantity is actually equivalent to (hypotenuse*opposite)/adjacent^2.